Thursday, March 24, 2011

"Bye-Bye Paci" and Colors

Many of you know I have been wanting to break Cooper of his pacifier habit for awhile now. (like since he was born!) He mostly used his paci only during sleep time, so that was really all we had to work through. I had read, researched, and interviewed trying to figure out the best way to attempt this task. I kept putting it off and putting it off because the thought of messing with his sleep schedule was so frightening to me! After all, he doesn't have such a great sleep history, and it has been so easy lately.
But...when he woke up from his nap on Monday and there was a huge hole in his paci, I couldn't help but give it a try. So, I showed him the hole and said, "Oh no, your paci is broken it might hurt Cooper. We have to throw it in the trash." I tried to convince him to throw it away, but I quickly saw that was NOT ever going to happen. So, I put it in the trash can and we said, "Bye-bye Paci!" While he was unsure about this, there were no tears at all. He just kept saying, "Uh-oh, bye-bye." I was REALLY nervous about bedtime. But to my surprise, he went right to sleep with only a whimper! Nap time the next day was not so successful, but I'm happy to say we are three nights down with no tears. And, he went right down for his nap today as well! Yea! I'm so proud of my big boy!

Since I can't do a post without pictures... here is a little video of Cooper identifying his colors. He for sure does not get them right 100% of the time, but he is doing pretty well!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on kicking the paci! That is a major milestone. We'll be happy if Bug stops sucking her thumb by kindergarten.
    I'm impressed with Coop's color skills, too!

    I think it's so funny to compare our voices in videos from when our kiddos were newborns to videos of them as toddlers. We spoke at least three octaves higher when they were itty bitty!

    ReplyDelete